Studies >> Registration


In order to enrol at Vienna Conservatory of Mag. Eva Maria Schmid, you must first pass a preliminary entrance exam. Succesful candidates are then categorised and inscribed into the appropriate year of the overall study plan, depending on their current level and ability.

NB: In order to safeguard a place with us, it is advisable to attend the main entrance exam period for music studies at the start of the semester. However, students can be accepted onto courses throughout the academic year, depending on places available.

Entrance Exam for the music studies

You can apply for the entrance exam by filling out the entrance exam form (this can be either downloaded or picked up from the secretarial office).

The completed form can be sent to us by email or delivered directly to the secretarial office. You will then be notified (either in person or by email) of the date and time of your exam.


Entrance exam procedure

  • Candidates are required to perform 2-3 pieces which display their current level and ability.
  • Following a succesful entrance exam, the candidate is then allocated into a particular year (level) of the overall course of study, according to his/her ability.


NB: Please bring the music along with you to the entrance exam. After applying for the exam, you will be informed of any additional requirements (e.g. for Musicals or Composition) in due course.


Download the entrance exam form:


Those who have successfully passed the entrance exam can then fill out the registration form (available either by download or in our main office):
•    You will provide us with your personal details (e.g. contact information) and sign a contract for one academic year of study.
•    The following documents and items must be provided at registration:
      i. Report from the successful entrance exam
      ii. Passport (we will make a photocopy)
      iii. 1 passport-sized photograph
      iv. € 652,- as prepayment of the study tuiton fee for students who require a visa

Optional: We can give credit towards your previous musical studies where applicable. For example, if you have already studied Solfeggio at another institution, you won’t have to study it for a second time with us. For the accreditation of previous musical schooling, please bring written proof (e.g. a study certificate), with an accredited translation into either German or English, so that the directors can determine whether these previous studies are valid.

NB: Payment can be made to us either with cash or via bank transfer. If we receive cash payment directly in the office, we can then issue all the documents necessary for visa applications straight away. If you pay via bank transfer, we will send you these documents either by email or by post once we have received the payment.

Here are the bank details you will need to pay in money:
Recipient: Vienna Konservatorium
IBAN: AT70 1400 0037 1007 4304 (Account number (Kontonummer): 03710074304)
BIC: BAWAATWW (Sorting Code (Bankleitzahl): 14000)
Payment reference: Aufnahmeprüfung (entrance exam), name, date of birth.

Your studies begin immediately after you have registered. If you have applied for a visa, then your studies will begin as soon as you have arrived in Vienna after obtaining the visa. Please report briefly to the main office before you start your studies!

Visa Applications

Short-notice Visa applications for an entrance exam at the Conservatory:

In case you are travelling to us from abroad for an entrance exam und require a visa at short notice, you can request a written invitation.  We will need to receive the following documents (either by email, fax or post):


  • A copy of your passport (first page)
  • Filled out and signed form: Anmeldung zur Aufnahmeprüfung
  • Homeland address.
  • A suggested time period during which you can come to Vienna to take an entrance exam.


Upon receipt of these documents, we will send a written invitation to your home address / email address and will inform you of your entrance exam date.

Obtaining a Student Visa for the Conservatory:

The documents which you will need from Vienna Conservatory in order to acquire a student visa can be obtained once the entrance exam and enrolment have been completed and a prepayment of 3 months worth of tuition fees (included enrolment fee) has been made to us. For most nationalities, the application for the student residence permit (visa) has to be made at the Austrian embassy (consulate) in your home country. For certain nationalities however, e.g. USA, Japan & South Korea, the visa application can be made in Austria. Please contact the Austrian embassy in your home country to check which procedure applies to you!

Student flats:

We are able to provide short-term living arrangements in Vienna for our students. Student flat reservations can only be made in our main office.


© Vienna Konservatorium der Mag. Eva Maria Schmid 2020Contact UsDisclaimerData privacy