The Vienna Conservatory of Mag. Eva Maria Schmid was founded as a Viennese music school in 1979 by the music professors Mag. Eva Maria
Schmid and Mag. Josef Schmid.
Based on their own personal and professional experience, they based their own institution on the following primary objectives:
• To regard all musical styles as equal.
• To encourage individual talents and interests.
• To combine professionalism with a passion for music-making.
In the academic year 2008/09 the Conservatory became an active member of the Association Européenne des Conservatoires, Académies de Musique et Musikhochschulen (AEC). The AEC is a European Cultural and Educational Network which was founded in 1953 and represents the interests of all institutions which offer vocational musical training. The Association sets out to achieve these aims in the following ways:
• Encouraging and supporting international cooperation between member institutions.
• Realising international projects concerning musical education.
• Organising an annual congress and various subject-specific seminars for its members.
• Representing the interests of the musical education sector on a national, European and international level.